Have you been considering the name Luke for your baby boy, but want to learn more about the meaning of the name Luke, its origin, and popularity?
Then let us help answer your questions and more with our Luke name meaning ultimate guide!
Choosing a baby name definitely not easy, especially if you are looking for a classic names that will remain timeless, but we think the name Luke ticks all the boxes!
People who are named Luke are known for their charismatic charm.
They are honest and kind-hearted.
They are practically minded.
And they are recognized for their ability to attract, influence, and inspire those around them.
So, if you’re thinking about naming your little boy ‘Luke,’ then you’re in luck. Here you’ll learn what does the name Luke mean, the origin of Luke, different ways to spell Luke, names like Luke, nicknames for Luke, middle names for Luke, sibling names for Luke, and even a few famous people named Luke.
Keep reading to discover if Luke is the perfect name for your baby boy!
Luke is a name of Christian origin, and it refers to Luke the Evangelist. He is one of the Four Evangelists, the authors who wrote the Gospel accounts.
Luke the Evangelist is the author of the Gospel of Luke, which talks about the life and death of Jesus Christ. He also wrote the Acts of the Apostles, which is the fifth book of the New Testament and talks about the foundation of the Christian Church and the efforts of the apostles who managed to spread the new faith outside Jerusalem and across the Roman Empire.
Since Luke was a Greek physician who lived in Syria, this name was probably widespread back then. Yet, there are no accounts of any other famous ancient Luke. Luke the Evangelist is praised as a saint in all Christian Churches and the Druze faith.
The Greek name was actually called Lukas, and it was shortened to Luke when it traveled to the Western world. Yet, the name Lukas is actually another popular version of the name that is still widely used today.
Luke was an educated man and worked as a doctor in addition to his literary work. He’s also considered the first icon painter. Although most of his artistic work is lost, some people believe that he painted the Black Madonna of Częstochowa, which survives in Poland today.
It’s widely believed that Luke the Evangelist painted this icon on a cedar table that he found in the house of the holy family, and Helena, the Roman Empress, discovered it. Whether he actually drew it or not, his artistic style has influenced several icon painters in several parts of the world.
His extraordinary efforts and many talents made the name famous since the time of early Christians. It’s still one of the most popular names in the world.
Pronunciation Of Luke
Wondering how to pronounce the name Luke?
The name Luke is pronounced L ew k.
Luke Name Meaning
Luke is a classical name that survived into modern times because it’s easy to spell and pronounce. It comes from a Latin word, “Lucus,” and it means “Light Giving” or the “One Who Brings The Light.”
When people choose a name for a baby, they usually focus on something that has a positive meaning, especially if they believe in the energy of names and how they affect someone’s life. This criterion applies to the name Luke, and this explains why it’s been quite popular for more than 2000 years.
Although Luke is originally a boy’s name, it can be a gender-neutral name in several countries. Moreover, there are several variations of the name that are widely used as girl’s names. These include Luca, Luka, Lucy, Lucia, Luisa, and Lucinda.
How Popular Is The Name Luke?
Luke is one of the most popular names in the US, ranking as the 32nd most popular boy’s name in the US. Surprisingly, it also ranks as the 12117th most popular girl’s name, so some people would still choose this name for their girls, although it’s rare. The name was also used as a surname in the past.
The name Luke is even more popular in the UK and Ireland. Yet, people of the Christian faith in several countries usually use this name after Luke the Evangelist. This includes France, Germany, Belgium, and several African countries.
Luke As a Girl’s Name
There are several girl’s names related to Luke, including Luisa and Lucy. Luisa is of Spanish and Mexican origin, while Lucy is of Latin origin. However, the name Luke itself is more commonly used for boys.
Nicknames For Luke
Although the name Luke is easy to pronounce, there are several cool nicknames that you can give to your child. People love nicknames because they make them feel special and loved. Moreover, your little one can use this nickname if they’re not that fond of the name Luke. Here are some nicknames to try.
- Lu is probably the easiest nickname for Luke, and your baby won’t struggle to pronounce it if they can’t pronounce the name Luke.
- Lulu is an easy nickname and one that people can easily pick up. You can also use it if you give the name Luke to a girl.
- Lucky is a variation of Luke and a popular nickname because of its positive meaning.
- Lee is another easy-to-pronounce nickname.
Throughout the years, the name Luke traveled to different parts of the world, with some different variations.
- Luc is the French variation of Luke, and it became popular in other parts of the world, including Vietnam, Senegal, and Mali, after France occupied them. Luc is a masculine name and has the same meaning as Luke. It can also mean to shine or stand out.
- Locke is a German variation of Luke, and it means “The Keeper,” “ Fortified or Protected Place,” “Wood,” or “Pond.” It also has origins in Old English and Dutch; however, it was used as a surname. In the past, this name was used by lockkeepers and locksmiths, and it refers to protection and safety.
- Luka is an Eastern- European variation of the name Luke and is popular in several English-speaking countries. It has the same meaning as Luke and originally refers to men from the Lucania region in Southern Italy. People of Italian origin usually use this name to honor their heritage, and it’s extremely popular in Georgia.
- Lukyan is a Russian variation of the name Luke, and it has the same meaning.
- Lux is a name of Latin origin, and it refers to luxury. It’s a gender-neutral name that is usually given to babies in the US, Cambodia, and Colombia.
- Lucky is a modern name that refers to good luck and fortune. It’s a new name that has recently become popular in the US, although some people use it as a nickname.
- Lucien is a French variation of the name Luke and refers to light, just like it. However, it’s less widespread, so it will work for you if you want a less common name.
- Lex is a gender-neutral name of Greek origin, and it means the “Defender” or “Defender of Men.”
- Luis is a Spanish variation of the name Luke, and it means “Famous Warrior.” It will tell your child about their inner strength.
- Loek is the Dutch variation of the name Luke, and it has the same meaning.
Name Like Luke
Middle Names For Luke
See our full list of middle names for Luke!
Sibling Names For Luke
There is no single rule to follow if you want to pick good sibling names. Some people go for a name that starts with the same initial, while others would go for a name with a similar meaning or the same energy. So, here are a few good sibling names if you chose the name Luke for your child.
Famous People Named Luke
Thanks to the popularity of the name, many people have used it throughout the years. Here’s a list of some famous people with the name Luke.
- Luke the Evangelist is the most famous person who’s ever carried this name. He’s one of Christ’s apostles and the author of one of the four gospels, the Gospel of Luke.
- Luke Chrysoberges was the Patriarch of Constantinople who witnessed several theological controversies regarding the sacrifice of Christ during this time.
- Luke Fagan was an Irish bishop.
- Luke Fildes was a British painter and illustrator who became famous at the age of 17, drawing his paintings in the social realist style.
- Luke Askew was an American actor who played several roles in spaghetti Western movies.
- Luke Appling was a baseball player who played for the Chicago White Sox.
- Luke, or Uncle Luke, is an American rapper, promoter, and record producer.
- Luke Hemsworth is an Australian actor, and he’s famous for acting in the tv series Westworld.
The are several fictional characters that carry the name Luke, and these characters inspired more people to give the name Luke to their little ones.
- Luke Skywalker is the main character of the epic space multimedia and movie series Star Wars.
- Lucky Luke is a western cowboy from a Belgian cartoon series.
- Luke is a vampire from the universe of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Luke Carlyle is a con man from the Marvel universe.
- Luke Castellan is a character from the universe of Percy Jackson.
- Luke Hobbs is a character from the Fast & Furious movie series.
- Luke Atmey is a character in the video game Ace Attorney.
Luke is a popular name in several parts of the world, thanks to Luke the Evangelist. It’s usually used as a boy’s name, but it can also be used as a less common girl’s name.
The name is of Latin origin, and it means the “Bringer of Light,” and it’s popular because of its positive meaning. It’s even more popular in the UK and Ireland than in the US, and several fictional characters carry this name. So, if you’re looking for a popular and positive name for your little one, Luke will definitely work for you.
And if you’re more baby name inspiration, make sure to check out these baby name lists that contain the name Luke for even more inspiration:
- Country Boy Names
- 4 Letter Boy Names
- Boy Names That Start With L
- Boy Names Ending In E
- Magical Boy Names
- One Syllable Boy Names
- Christmas Boy Names